- To the kids, for coming up with several great costumes, and rotating them through several Halloween events over the past few days;
- To the people who build a "fire house" every year, transforming their charming two-storey into a house full of fire and a mandatory stop on our trick or treat route;
- To all the folks who sit on their front stoops, in costume, and make our kids' Halloween night fun;
- To the students who run Safe Trick or Treat on campus every year, and give our kids props for their costumes;
- To the places you go to paint and carve pumpkins, ride haycarts, and drink hot cider;
- To the weather gods, who allowed October 31, 2010 to be a balmy mid-70s in the not-usually-so-balmy midwest.
- To the folks who stole our friends' yard decorations, even those made by their kiddoes;
- To the folks who make pumpkin smashing an annual sport;
- To grandma's candy-ometer, for deciding that a pinata for two kids is "not that much candy";
- To the students who think that 5-7 pm means packing up your booth at 6.20, because you all have some other place to be;
- To the folks who decided that two separate field trips by bus on one day, followed by a party and a parade was both a good school day and an appropriate amount of turmoil for first graders;
- To the parents who let them do it (yes, we take our share of blame in this too).
Okay. We'll do it all again next year.